Good Morning Class, Today I just wanted to put into your hands a needed cheat sheet that puts together all of the update changes in SFB into one simple upgrade document for any set of SFB servers. So lets begin.
Pre-Requisite Install work for Skype for Business Updates
- Check all your servers for Pending reboots. You can use the PowerShell script
- Download your SFB installer – Installer Download
- Review the instructions to make sure no changes are present
Updates should be done in the following groups, in the following order:
- Standard Edition Servers
- Front End Servers
- Mediations Servers, Director and Edge Servers
- Back End SQL Servers
To begin, If you have Skype for Business (SFB) Standard Edition, you will follow this process:
Standard Edition Updates for SFB Server Environment
- 1 Stop-CsWindowsService
- 2 net stop w3svc
- 3 SkypeServerUpdateInstaller.exe
- 4 Once this is complete move to step 5
- 5 Open a new SFB Shell after closing the update window
- 6 Stop-CsWindowsService
- 7 net start w3svc
- 8 Depending on your Database setup- you may run one or the other
- Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <SQL Server FQDN>
- Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <SQL Server FQDN> -ExcludeCollocatedStores
- Install-CsDatabase -Update -LocalDatabases
If you have Standard SFB, Stop. You have completed all you need for your Deployment. If you have SFB Enterprise, Follow the Steps Below.
SFB Enterprise Updates of Servers and SQL
Front End Servers Patched First. Patch One Pool At a time, One Server at a time.
Run: 1. Get-CsPoolUpgradeReadinessState
Only if you get a failure, and only if your results show a missing replica, then you run this command:
- Get-CsPoolFabricState -PoolFqdn <PoolFQDN>
- Reset-CsPoolRegistrarState -ResetType QuorumLossRecovery
- 2. (Ignore if non Clustered or Mirrored) Invoke-CsComputerFailOver -ComputerName <Front End Server to be patched>
- 3. Get-CsWindowsService (services will be running) & Get-CsPoolFabricState (Fabric will show 1 less server in the pool)
- 4. Run the latest Installer package
- 5. Don’t Be impatient!!!
- 6. Only when the updates are done, move to step 7 or 8
- 7. (Ignore if non Clustered or Mirrored) Invoke-CsComputerFailBack –ComputerName <Front End>
- 8. You may check for the pending restart. Be aware you may want to do the restart before moving to the next server
Mediations Servers, Director and Edge Servers Patch One at a time
The Steps are the same for this group of servers as well. However, they need to be completed as a separate group. So begin with the same steps and when complete, Make sure you have restated your servers if needed.Edge Servers should be done together as well.
Back end SQL Servers and other SQL Servers
Once all of these servers in your deployment are updated, You need to update the SQL instances:
- 1.On the Back End SQL machines OR On the Master FE sever of your Pool (RTClocal) or Monitoring Database
- Install-CsDatabase -Update -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn
- If any of #1 is on the back end with the root BE database instance, Use:
- Install-CsDatabase -ConfiguredDatabases -SqlServerFqdn <FEBE.FQDN> -ExcludeCollocatedStores -Verbose
Once you have completed the final step, you can then run the command Start-CSPOOL, and that should cause the SFB Pool to verify the pool fabric is happy and all will e started up again properly.
Thus having done this, you will have successfully updated you Skype for Business Environment. I hope this makes it a little easier to carry out Your updates.